USB key

Ian Malone ibm21 at cam.ac.uk
Fri Dec 17 14:37:10 UTC 2004

Charles Curley wrote:

<cleaned attribs>
 > On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 14:09:17 +0100, Francois Massonneau
 >> Hello,
 >> I've just got an USB key (250 mbytes), and I would like to know how
 >> to make it to be visible from my linux box. I run FC2. On my laptop,
 >> I've just to type :
 >> mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /mnt/key
 >> but on my home computer, (it's a full scsi equiped system), I can't
 >> make it to recognize it.
 >> I would like to just plug the key, then have konqueror to be opened,
 >> automagically.
 >> Thank you for your advices, help. Francois

 > Francois, once you have identified on which device file your USB key
 > is showing up, you may need to edit /etc/fstab to get the kernel
 > to mount it automatically. There may also be something you'll need to
 > do for Konqueror.

 > There are some articles on http://fedoranews.org/ that you may find
 > useful.

FWIW, under FC2 I found that identifying the device name (reported by
dmesg when plugged in IIRC), and adding the appropriate string to
/etc/updfstab.conf.defaults (man updfstab & updfstab.conf) sufficed
to automount (although gnome behaviour with the drive on the desktop
was a little erratic).  This needed to be repeated whenever the hotplug
system was updated, and for devices with different (product) names.

Under FC3 all this 'just works', presumably due to HAL; although I
haven't investigated.  Actually, I'll take this opportunity to say
a big THANK YOU to whoever's responsible for that one.

--
imalone