Installed second NIC; 2

Jeff Kinz jkinz at kinz.org
Fri Dec 17 16:14:31 UTC 2004

On Fri, Dec 17, 2004 at 10:54:54AM -0500, Don wrote:
> Relatively new Fedora Core 3 box.  I have one NIC installed on the external
> (internet) interface.  Installed a second NIC for my internal interface;
> then my problems started.
>
> 1) destroyed /etc/hosts; I had to rebuild it
> 2) destroyed /etc/resolv.conf; I had to rebuild it
> 3) For whatever reason, decided to make eth0 now eth1 and vice versa - I
> think I have it straightened out.
>
> Now when I ping other machines (or the same machine) on the current network,
> it pings fine.  When I try to ping an internet site, it hangs for a while
> and then tells me, for example:
>
> Ping: unknown host: yahoo.com

In addition of the other stuff I mentioned, check the output of your
"route" command.  If the gateway isn't there, or is incorrect, update
the file
/etc/sysconfig/network

so that the line containing "GATEWAY="
sets that attribute to the correct value.

--
Linux/Open Source:  Your infrastructure belongs to you, free, forever.
Idealism:  "Realism applied over a longer time period"