[FC3] No mp3 activity at any cost

Kenny Gow kgfedora at swbell.net
Fri Dec 17 16:39:26 UTC 2004

Brian Fahrlander wrote:
>     A fresh install from CDROMs, a full install.  I'm quite aware mp3s
> aren't supported by default, and I know why.  Alternatives exist- kinda.
>
>     Some Google hits report that I should find "gstreamer-plugins-mp3"
> and some say I need "gstreamer-plugins-audio". Neither that I can find,
> and install with a download and an rpm install work.
>
>     I've looked into adding Livna; seems shaky.  I added FreshRPMs, DAG,
> and even the Gstreamer site.  I've tried removing all packages with
> "gstream" in the name (--nodeps) and installing _only_ from the base
> +Dag, or base+Freshrpms, and base+gstreamer sites, and no headway is
> ever made.
>
>     Yes, I run gst-register (thanks, Google) in between each flush-and-
> fill of the gstreamer install.
>
>     Ideas left:  can someone send me a package-list of a working
> gstreamer+mp3 situation so I can tell how far wrong I am?
>
>     Maybe someone else has been here, and the answer's simple?
>
>     Thanks- I appreciate anything you can do.

Here are all the gstreamer packages I have installed on FC3:

rpm -qa | grep gstreamer

gstreamer-plugins-extra-dvd-0.8.6-0.1.fc3.fr
gstreamer-plugins-0.8.5-1
gstreamer-plugins-extra-video-0.8.6-0.1.fc3.fr
gstreamer-0.8.7-4.FC3.0
gstreamer-plugins-extra-audio-0.8.6-0.1.fc3.fr

the last one, gstreamer-plugins-extra-audio, is the one that
gives me mp3 playback. I got it via yum from freshrpms.net.

Cheers,
Kenny