Second Request: Changing default apps

John Aldrich john at chattanooga.net
Fri Dec 17 17:07:10 UTC 2004

On Friday 17 December 2004 11:39, Jeff Kinz wrote:
> > Can someone please point me to a "switchdesk" type app which will
> > automagically reconfigure MY personal settings to use KMail instead of
> > Evolution for all email and Mozilla instead of FireFox?
>
> man switchdesk
> /usr/bin/switchdesk   <Desktop of choice>

Done that. I'm using KDE and DeadRat's hard-coded "quick launch" toolbar still
has FireFox and Evolution as the default apps... or it did, but I hand-edited
it for KMail and Mozilla, but after installing the upgraded KDE, I was back
to Evolution and FireFox.

> But you posted in, in, in.... that dreaded markup language!
> (I know - its evolution's fault! :-) )

Nope... KMail. I can't figure out how to get the darn thing to compose in
plain text. Under the old KMail, it would default to plain text. For some
reason, it appears the new KMail defaults to HTML... *sigh* I'm gonna have to
search the FM to find out how to default to plain, ascii text. It appears
that when composing a message, you have to select "Formatting" and then
select it again to force plain-text.
> > So, please... someone tell me how to reconfigure FC3 to use KMail for MY
> > default mail client and Mozilla for my default HMTL viewer?
>
> Just start using kmail (select from menu after logging out and back in
> so new desktop can come up.)
>
> Same for Moz.

Well, maybe I wasn't specific enough... I want the "quick launch" toolbar to
launch Mozilla when I click on the "web browser" button and "kmail" when I
click on the "launchmail" button. And I don't want to have to re-edit those
again every time there's an update.