Second Request: Changing default apps 2

John Aldrich john at chattanooga.net
Fri Dec 17 17:18:43 UTC 2004

On Friday 17 December 2004 11:49, Jeff Kinz wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 17, 2004 at 11:41:48AM -0500, Andrew Overholt wrote:
> > > So, please... someone tell me how to reconfigure FC3 to use KMail for
> > > MY default mail client and Mozilla for my default HMTL viewer?
> >
> > Applications->Preferences->More Preferences->Preferred Applications
> >
> > (Web Browser, Mail Reader, Text Editor, Terminal)
>
> Andrew, Don't forget to mention that this menu path does not exist
> on the KDE desktop (which the original poster is witching to.) and also,
> setting preferences in the Gnome environment may not have any effect on
> the KDE desktop environment.

Exactly. I suspect it would affect the preferred apps, but since I'm using KDE
and not Gnome, it's a moot point, and I fail to see why I should be forced to
switch to Gnome just to change my preferred apps. Why does RedHat/Fedora (in
their "infinite wisdom") assume everyone wants to run Gnome anyway, as it
seems they do?