Second Request: Changing default apps 2

Jeff Kinz jkinz at kinz.org
Fri Dec 17 17:31:52 UTC 2004

On Fri, Dec 17, 2004 at 12:18:43PM -0500, John Aldrich wrote:
> On Friday 17 December 2004 11:49, Jeff Kinz wrote:
> > Andrew, Don't forget to mention that this menu path does not exist
> > on the KDE desktop (which the original poster is witching to.) and also,
> > setting preferences in the Gnome environment may not have any effect on
> > the KDE desktop environment.
> >
> Exactly. I suspect it would affect the preferred apps, but since I'm using KDE
> and not Gnome, it's a moot point, and I fail to see why I should be forced to
> switch to Gnome just to change my preferred apps. Why does RedHat/Fedora (in
> their "infinite wisdom") assume everyone wants to run Gnome anyway, as it
> seems they do?

'Tain't Redhat/fedora's doing.   'tis the various desktop environment
producers.  Gnome. KDE etc..
And I agree - the info isn't as apparent as should be.  For example
no man pages for their stuff.  This is the minimum acceptable level for
documentation.

(having nifty html docs is great, too bad they are not compatible with
"whatis", "apropos" and "man". the main, and easiest tools for getting
info from documentation on a *NIX box. )

> --

Linux/Open Source:  Your infrastructure belongs to you, free, forever.
Idealism:  "Realism applied over a longer time period"
http://www.scaled.com/projects/tierone/
http://kinz.org
http://www.fedoratracker.org http://www.fedorafaq.org
http://www.fedoranews.org