Lotus Sametime equivalent?

Nifty Hat Mitch mitch48 at sbcglobal.net
Fri Dec 17 18:06:33 UTC 2004

On Wed, Dec 15, 2004 at 05:17:07PM +0100, Dag Wieers wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Dec 2004, Ernie McCracken wrote:
> > >

> There's a sametime plugin for gaim called gaim-meanwhile. It's the same
> project that is advertized internally and it is Open Source.

I looked at the Sametime pages on IBM/Lotus web sites and I can see
why the original poster expected to be OK on Linux.  Call IBM/Lotus
sales and ask for a schedule for a Linux port.  Let them know that
their web pages were not 'obvious' (and why).

i.e. Let their marketing "see demand" for Sametime on Linux.  A customer
like you that spent real money has much more clout than a lookielou.

On quick inspection of the requirements, a Sametime server matches
a midsize deskside/server box quite well so a modest hardware box
should suffice even if it runs WindowZ now.

In a small business where Sametime will pay for itself a dedicated box
would make sense anyhow.

If Linux is to be big time successful it will have to run some serious
software that is not open source.  IBM knows this (I think) so put
them to the task.

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l
	spam unwanted email.