battery monitor [Was: Compiling s.th. into Kernel]

Jonathan Berry berryja at gmail.com
Fri Dec 17 18:42:34 UTC 2004

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 19:24:36 +0100, Maciek R. <m.mail at vp.pl> wrote:
[reordered]
> On Fri, 2004-12-17 at 18:41 +0100, Maciek R. wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On Fri, 2004-12-17 at 09:43 -0600, Satish Balay wrote:
> >
> > > 1. Are you running gnome?
> >
> > My GUI is KDE. Does the gnome stuff work on it?
> >
> > > 2. Do you have 'gnome-applets' package installed? (it should be
> > >    installed if gnome is installed)
> > >
> > > rpm -q gnome-applets
> >
> > gnome-applets-2.8.0-5
> >
> > --
> > Maciek R. <m.mail at vp.pl>
> >
> No, my GUI is GNOME, sorry for bad information (I don't really know the
> difference between the GUI's, I was of the opinion that I installed KDE,
> because I had selected it at the installation). But 'Battery Charge
> Monitor' is not listed in the list of choices.
> --
> Maciek R. <m.mail at vp.pl>

Are you by any chance running the x86_64 version?  It looks like you
are running FC3 as well, since your gnome-applets version is 2.8.   I
know that at least for FC2, the "Battery Charge Monitor" does not seem
to exist for the x86_64 version, for whatever reason.  It is quite
annoying, as I have had my laptop die a couple of times due to the
battery loosing power.  I was hoping it would be in FC3, but if you
are running x86_64, it looks like it may not be.  It seems I remember
it being there in the i386 version that I installed on my desktop (a
lot of good it does me there).  I've tried compiling it from source,
but have not succeeded due to dependency problems.  Anyway, could this
be your problem?  Does anyone know why the x86_64 FC gnome-applets
does not contain the battery applet?

Jonathan