Triggering the website to send Spam

Nifty Hat Mitch mitch48 at sbcglobal.net
Fri Dec 17 18:53:48 UTC 2004

On Wed, Dec 15, 2004 at 09:17:31PM -0500, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 15, 2004 at 07:22:46PM -0500, Littleguru wrote:
> > and spam other domains .
> > so there is no way to prevent this ? unless bloking outgoing email of
> > innocent-domain.com
>
> No, that won't block it either. They're just picking someone else's domain
> name and using it.
>
> > and  I didn't undersand matthew suggestion about forging the form
> > address !!!
> > how do they forge the address , and would you please send me some links
> > to good documents so
> > i can improve myself  in spam and email problems .
>
> It's not hard -- in your mail client, set your address as "god at example.com",
> and send mail. It will work just fine. Of course, you won't get any
> replies, but if you're a spammer, you probably don't want replies anyway.

Of note there are virus infected WindowZ and rootkitted Linux boxes
out there that are being used to send spam and do other 'bad' things
on the net.

The problem of spam and viruses has grown to the point that almost all
ISP's are installing and making available antivirus and antispyware
tools.  By some measures 85% of all email is spam.  An ISP can
effectively increase the resources of it's mail server infrastructure
five fold if it was able to eliminate spam.

Because the return on investment can be so good more and more ISP's
are getting in the game and providing their customers with tools.
Check your account feature set and host services.

For goodness sake do not open HTML rich spam.  They hide a little
image that you cannot see.  That hidden URL validates your address
and that you 'looked'.

YOU WILL DOUBLE or TRIPPLE your incoming spam if you look even !ONCE!,
at this type of html junk mail.  Use a text only view of mail for all
messages.  Use your HTML tools for messages from trusted senders.

I have noted that some of the posters here (unknowingly I believe)
post from accounts that tag a hidden tracking image/URL in all mail.
It is hidden in the signature of all their Multi-part MIME messages,
even when they send text in the body.

I recommend mutt or pine for reading this news group.

Pine is 'nifty' in that it has an internal HTML to text converter
and when correctly setup will not fetch the (^(^$#@ tracking URL.

Of interest to some mutt can be configured to use lynx to safely view
html text.

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l
	spam unwanted email.