SLOW network on FC3 (2nd)

Bill Gradwohl bill at ycc.com
Fri Dec 17 23:07:35 UTC 2004

JonVO wrote:

> Thanks Bill for the tip. Unfortunately I succesfully implemented the
> sysctl change to little effect. Download speed now a whopping 1KB/sec
> on the Sun website, close to 196K on the Win2k box. ifconfig says my
> eth0 is running multicast, no errors or collisions.
> JonVO

If you have 2 or more machines handy, you might want to run some tests
between machines ignoring your Internet connection for the moment. If
machine to machine behind your router is also slow, then that would
isolate the issue a bit more. If machine to machine is fast, then it has
to do with your Internet connection.

Try running some large ping packets between the FC3 and another box. Try
running some regular ping packets too. I've seen packet size cause
issues. For the moment, use only IP addresses not names to avoid name
resolution issues, and also tell ping not to resolve names. You can run
these ping tests against your Internet router also to see if packet size
has any effect.

You might try to use a cross over cable between 2 boxes to also
eliminate any issues concerning a switch/hub.

--
Bill Gradwohl
bill at ycc.com
http://www.ycc.com