catalog files on hdd in order to find later on backups

Nifty Hat Mitch mitch48 at sbcglobal.net
Sat Dec 18 00:19:17 UTC 2004

On Wed, Dec 15, 2004 at 12:49:01PM -0500, Jeff Kinz wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 15, 2004 at 07:38:53PM +0200, Marius Andreiana wrote:
> > Is there a tool which would catalog files on hdd in order to find later
> > on backups? Here's the detail:
> > We backup a fileserver on dvds, complete and incremental (with
> > mondorescue). We need a web application running on same server and
> > accessible to all workstations which would let users search for a file
> > and tell which dvd(s) they need for it.
> > We can't use a regular cataloging application for CDs, as the info on
> > them it's compressed and some it's mondorescue-specific.
>
> ls -lagsR $CATDIRS > ${CATALOGSDIR}/`date +%m.%d.`
>
> where CATDIRS is an environment variable containing the paths to the
> directories that will be backed up. (It could be just "/")
> and CATALOGSDIR is an environment variable containing the path to the
> directory were the catalogs will be held

Depending on the permissions of the catalogs you may wish to take a
clue from 'slocate' and note the ownership and permissions of files so
some security issues about file names in dirs that a user could
normally not search are not exposed.

It might also pay to look at slocate with an eye on the use of
alternative data bases etc.   You could build a wrapper for 'slocate'
that knows about your local data sets.

Do read the bug history of slocate if you are doing more than
a list of DVDs and files that anyone can look at you need not
make the same errors in design.

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l
	spam unwanted email.