FC3 unable to install on SATA drives?

John Burk jburk at mainframe.ca
Sat Dec 18 02:23:15 UTC 2004

I'm attempting to install FC3 on Dell Precision 470 workstations, and
the installer dies while trying to probe the partition geometry.
Something about an error in "disk_dos.c while running
probe_partition_geometry()", or something very similar.

Using the onboard SATA controller.  This happens both with the SATA bios
enabled and disabled.

Unfortunately, no one at Dell can tell me which chipset makes up the
SATA controller, or even which Intel m/board version is installed in
this model.  I do so love Dell support :-\

Current OS on the disk is RH9.

The FC2 installer can see the RH9 partitions correctly, and will offer
to continue with the install, either upgrading or overwriting the
current install.  But I want ot install FC3.

Is this a known bug in the FC3 installer routines, or am I just lucky?

--
John Burk

Sr. Technical Director
Mainframe Entertainment