FC3: Gnome desktop seems to have disappeared

Andrew Choens achoens at frontiernet.net
Sat Dec 18 13:40:02 UTC 2004

> I have tried your idea: changing themes, deleting .gnome, .gnome2
> and .gnome2_private. I've also tried to delete .gconf and .nautilus
> But the problem is still there.
> I really don't know what to do. Anyone has an idea ?

Try making a new user.  See if this happens to the new user as well.
Then you know if it is system-wide or local only to you.  Also, does it
happen to root?  If it works for root, but no-one else, maybe there's a
permission set wrong somewhere.

Perhaps you could also try reinstalling gnome-themes, nautilus, etc.
Maybe something just got whacked up that a forced reinstall might fix.

If you do this, I would do it from the command-line, with your X-server
shut down.  To get this, su to root and init 3.  Then use your CD's, or
if you have it, apt-get to reinstall.  I tend to avoid yum.  I've had
problems with it messing up my system.

--andy