Still a complete system freeze when low on virtual memory..

Doncho N. Gunchev mr700 at globalnet.bg
Sat Dec 18 16:25:54 UTC 2004

On 2004-12-18 (Saturday) 15:21, Elmar Krieger wrote:
> Hi!
>
> If I run a memory intensive application and accidentally start a second instance
> in a different window, the computer freezes completely and needs a hard-reset
> with Fedora 3.
>
> In previous times, I could often at least kill the X-server and all applications
> with Ctrl+Alt+Backspace, or even better just close the console where I started
> the program. But no luck anymore nowadays..

    What video card you use? If it is nvidia do you use their driver?
I had problems with it nvidia. Give more details about your hardware,
kernel and the application. Do you run it as root?
    You also can slow down the system and make it respond many hours
later easy... use crtl-sysrq-<X> combination to remount ro, sync your
disks and reboot in such cases (enable in /etc/sysctl.conf).

--
Regards,
  Doncho N. Gunchev    Registered Linux User #291323 at counter.li.org
  GPG-Key-ID: 1024D/DA454F79                        http://pgp.mit.edu
  Key fingerprint = 684F 688B C508 C609 0371  5E0F A089 CB15 DA45 4F79