Triggering the website to send Spam

Chris Hewitt fedlist at manordata.uklinux.net
Sat Dec 18 17:29:17 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-12-18 at 16:22, Gustavo Seabra wrote:
> Nifty Hat Mitch wrote:
>
> >For goodness sake do not open HTML rich spam.  They hide a little
> >image that you cannot see.  That hidden URL validates your address
> >and that you 'looked'.
> >
> That's interesting... I've never heard about it before. Where can we learn more about this?
>
> >YOU WILL DOUBLE or TRIPPLE your incoming spam if you look even !ONCE!,
> >at this type of html junk mail.  Use a text only view of mail for all
> >messages.  Use your HTML tools for messages from trusted senders.
> >

> Does just disabling images in email work to stop this?

HTML email programs normally have javascript disabled, which used to be
the way this was done. If you have an image url request, particularly
with parameters, then "your" email address can be validated as one
actually in use. I don't where it is in Thunderbird, but in Evolution
under Tools, Settings, Mail Preferences, HTML Mail, I have "Never load
images off the net" for exactly this reason.

HTH
Chris