CD burning problem

Alfredo Ferrari list at pceet030.cern.ch
Sat Dec 18 21:01:25 UTC 2004

On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 akonstam at trinity.edu wrote:

> On Sat, Dec 18, 2004 at 02:27:04PM +0100, Jim Dishaw (dishawjp) wrote:
>> Oops,
>>
>> It was late last night when I initially posted, and I realize now that the command line was incorrect.  However even fixing that error still gives me errors and no burn.  The output is as follows:
>>
>> [dishawjp at eunix ~]$ cdrecord -v -eject speed=8 -dev=/dev/cdwriter /home/dishawjp/docs
>> cdrecord: No write mode specified.
>> cdrecord: Asuming -tao mode.
>> cdrecord: Future versions of cdrecord may have different drive dependent defaults.
>> cdrecord: Continuing in 5 seconds...
>> Cdrecord-Clone 2.01-dvd (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2004 J??rg Schilling
>> Note: This version is an unofficial (modified) version with DVD support
>> Note: and therefore may have bugs that are not present in the original.
>> Note: Please send bug reports or support requests to http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla
>> Note: The author of cdrecord should not be bothered with problems in this version.
>> TOC Type: 1 = CD-ROM
>> cdrecord: Cannot allocate memory. WARNING: Cannot do mlockall(2).
>> cdrecord: WARNING: This causes a high risk for buffer underruns.
>> cdrecord: Operation not permitted. WARNING: Cannot set RR-scheduler
>> cdrecord: Permission denied. WARNING: Cannot set priority using setpriority().
>> cdrecord: WARNING: This causes a high risk for buffer underruns.
>> scsidev: '/dev/cdwriter'
>> devname: '/dev/cdwriter'
>> scsibus: -2 target: -2 lun: -2
>> Linux sg driver version: 3.5.27
>> Using libscg version 'schily-0.8'.
>> cdrecord: Warning: using inofficial libscg transport code version (schily - Red Hat-scsi-linux-sg.c-1.83-RH '@(#)scsi-linux-sg.c        1.83 04/05/20 Copyright 1997 J. Schilling').
>> SCSI buffer size: 64512
>> atapi: 1
>> Device type    : Removable CD-ROM
>> Version        : 0
>> Response Format: 1
>> Vendor_info    : 'MSI     '
>> Identifikation : 'CD-RW M$-8348   '
>> Revision       : '120D'
>> Device seems to be: Generic mmc CD-RW.
>> Current: 0x0009
>> Profile: 0x0008
>> Profile: 0x0009 (current)
>> Profile: 0x000A
>> Using generic SCSI-3/mmc   CD-R/CD-RW driver (mmc_cdr).
>> Driver flags   : MMC-2 SWABAUDIO BURNFREE
>> Supported modes: TAO PACKET SAO SAO/R96P SAO/R96R RAW/R16 RAW/R96P RAW/R96R
>> Drive buf size : 1806336 = 1764 KB
>>
>> And then it just hangs and nothing happens.
>>
>> Any thoughts now that I've corrected one of my mistakes?
>>
> I still can't understand why people insist on using cdrecord to write
> to CD-s instead of xcdroast or k3d. It just makes ones life more
> complicated.
> --

> "I say we take off; nuke the site from orbit.  It's the only way to be sure."
> - Corporal Hicks, in "Aliens"
> Aaron Konstam
> Computer Science
> [...]

... simply because on many systems (3 out of 3 different machines fully
up-to-date on Fedora 2 here) none of them works.
Xcdroast doesn't "see" USB writers and insists that every CD
is "audio", k3b for a Gnome user is a stopper, it hangs X the first
time you launch it. cdrecord with no fancy interface can be painful but
most of the time it saves your day. BTW the status of Cd-writing tools in
Fedora-2 (and I guess 3 as well from the list) is a total shame.

                   Alfredo Ferrari

|  Alfredo Ferrari                         ||  Tel.: +41.22.767.6119         |
|  C.E.R.N.                                ||  Fax.: +41.22.767.7555         |
|  European Laboratory for Particle Physics||                                |
|  AB Division / ATB Group                 ||  e-mail:                       |
|  1211 Geneva 23                          ||     Alfredo.Ferrari at cern.ch    |
|  Switzerland                             ||     Alfredo.Ferrari at mi.infn.it |