Low internet speed

Joel Jaeggli joelja at darkwing.uoregon.edu
Sun Dec 19 05:07:29 UTC 2004

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004, M. P. Dickens wrote:

> Danesh Daroui wrote:
>
>> I am a FC3 user. I have connected a broadband internet CAT5 cable (8 Mbit/1
>> Mbit) to this system. Before FC3, I was using Windows XP and the speed was
>> fine, but when I installed FC3, the speed got low dramatically ! The only
>> change I have made is that I used a long cable (Maybe 8 m or more) to
>> connect that system to internet. Can it be a reason that could increase the
>> error rate ? I use a wireless LAN and can use a USB wireless adapter but I
>> am not sure if FC3 is compatible with wireless networks or not, however it
>> says it does. Have anyone any suggestions or experience about this problem
>> ?
>
> An 8 meter cable should not be a problem - it's well within the standard.
>
> The cable may not be of good quality or is not shielded well.

utp isn't shielded, if the connectors are starting to unravel or were
porrly crimped to begin with, or your house trained bunny has been chewing
on them then you could have a back cable. if you do ifconfig while sending
data and then do it again a couple times and you see the rx and tx errors
and frame errors regularly ncrementing you may have  a bad cable.

Joel Jaeggli  	       Unix Consulting 	       joelja at darkwing.uoregon.edu