RedHat 7.x upgrade to Fedora. Help!

Ken Latham clatham1 at tampabay.rr.com
Sun Dec 19 07:34:23 UTC 2004

Thanks Joachim, it was a move in the right direction... see below.

Joachim Backes wrote:

>On Wed, 2004-12-15 at 21:32 -0500, Ken Latham wrote:
>

>>Sort of a newbie (to Fedora anyway).  Please give what I say a little
>>latitude, I can't get details on the messages because in graphical or
>>text mode install I do not get enough time to read them...
>>
>>I download, md5 checked and burned the 4 CD set.  FC3-i386-disk[1-4].iso
>>I put them through the mediacheck, just to be sure the burns were good
>>and they passed.
>>
>>I have no problems (text or graphical) until it starts install.
>>It write the install image to disk ok, but when it starts the recording
>>(?) RPM transactions  (something like that).
>>I get a fatal error ... and I think it says ... "writing to linuxconf"
>>but its really hard to catch.
>>

>Hi, Ken,
>
>I remeber I had problems too when installing FCx over RHy with an
>installed linuxconf.
>
>After I removed the linuxconf RPM, I was able to make a clean install
>of FCx.
>
>So, can you start KNOPPIX? What was the type of your Root FS? If known,
>you can
>
>0. download and start knoppix, or use an elder rescue CD understanding
>   ext3
>1. convert the new FS to the old one which you used under RH7
>2. Then, I think, you can reboot RH7.
>3. Remove linuxconf
>3. RE-Install FC3.

I burned a copy of KNOPPIX and patched up the ext2 FSs back to ext2 ...
or so I thought.
The procedure I had Googled just had me umount and relieve the FS of the
burden of  ,journal.
Unfortunately, my ancient e2fsck still found a difference, I assume in
the superblock options list, judging from the messages.
But at least I was at a patchup prompt ...

Ever resourceful hacker that I am, decided that all I had to do was copy
over a new fsck from KNOPPIX.
Ok, copied e2fsck, reboot, really running fsck.ext2 (slaps head),
reboot, copy fsck.ext2, reboot, can't run fsck.ext2 without
libblkid.so.1, reboot ...
Instead of having to follow an endless line of dependencies, I got
lucky.  e2fsck didn't really care that fsck.ext2 failed as long as it
could start it, which it did once it had the only library it needed...
And I didn't care that it didn't check it because I already knew it was
clean (from KNOPPIX).

Uninstalled linuxconf and ... error (just my luck) ... can't
uninstall.   Started to do it by hand and then realized that all I had
to do was delete the install info for linuxconf from the rpm database
... that worked !  FC3 all installed.

There was Joy in Mudville!

At least for a little while, it seems the nv driver is having trouble
with my card.  xinit starts my session, but when it fails (for config
reasons), the video reset never occurs and am forced to reboot because I
can't get a virtual terminal switch to reset the video either ... ah, well.

At least I can boot and work on that problem from bash ...

Thanks for the suggestion!

Ken