CD burning problem

Ed Wilts ewilts at ewilts.org
Sun Dec 19 16:30:14 UTC 2004

On Sun, Dec 19, 2004 at 05:03:59PM +0100, Jim Dishaw (dishawjp) wrote:
> [dishawjp at eunix ~]$ cat /etc/fstab | grep /dev/hd

For the record, you can replace that command with:
$ grep /dev/hd /etc/fstab

> /dev/hdd3               swap                    swap    defaults        0 0
> /dev/hdb                /media/cdrecorder       auto    pamconsole,fscontext=system_u:object_r:removable_t,exec,noauto,managed 0 0

This tells me that /dev/hdb is the cd writer.

> [dishawjp at eunix ~]$ ls -l /dev/cd*
> lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 3 Dec 19 05:30 /dev/cdrom -> hda
> lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 3 Dec 19 05:30 /dev/cdrom1 -> hdb
> lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 3 Dec 19 05:30 /dev/cdwriter -> hdb

This confirms it.

> [dishawjp at eunix ~]$ cat /etc/cdrecord.conf
[snip]
> cdrom=          /dev/cdrom      -1      -1      burnfree

Replace /dev/cdrom with /dev/cdwriter.  You were trying to record on
your reader, not your writer.

> Although it's not a "normal" Linux thing, I am considering
> uninstalling and then reinstalling the cdrecord program.

The reason it's not "normal" is that it won't normally work.  If the
configuration file is wrong (and I think it is), then replacing it with
the original configuration file won't help you at all.

--
Ed Wilts, RHCE
Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts at ewilts.org