Roaming Profiles

Phil Brooks redhat at mailforyou.co.uk
Sun Dec 19 18:12:29 UTC 2004

Ok there are actually 8 wonders of the world!

The eighth wonder has got to be Roaming Profiles on XP using SAMBA, at
least they would be wonderful if I could get them working!

A couple of questions, the default configuration for the SMB.CONF seems to
be that profiles are stored in a seperate location to the Users personal
home directory eg. (\HOME\PROFILES\USER, but this leaves some rather
strange security issues, surely it is better to put the Profile of the
user in the Users home Directory e.g. (/HOME/USER/PROFILE) ?

The other question I have is how the bloody hell do you setup up client XP
Pro / Windows 2K machine? At the moment I leave it up to Windows to
automatically create default sets of information within the Users Profile
Directory e.g (user.dat My Documents, etc.).   Do I need to use some type
of Windows Profile creator to add the User credentials into the profile
directory on the server, at the moment windows just seems to create a
directory locally, in Documents & Settings called "\temp.USER.DOMAIN".

Please could someone shed some light and turn my mysery into a wonder ;)

Regards

Phil

--
Regards,

Phil

--
This message was scanned for spam and viruses by BitDefender
For more information please visit http://www.bcs.uk.net