Re-installing GRUB on FC3

Pete Toscano pete-fedora at verisignlabs.com
Sun Dec 19 18:40:27 UTC 2004

Hello,

I have a dual-boot system at home.  I needed to re-install XP and it, as
expected, nuked the GRUB install that was put there when I installed FC3.

This is an IDE-only system with hda and hdc being DVD drives.  hde and
hdg are my hard drives.  The boot partition is hdg1 and the root
partition is LVM on /dev/VolGroup00/root.  XP is hde1.

When I try "grub-install --root-directory=/boot /dev/hde" from the
command line as root and reboot, I get the following:

==============================
GRUB Loading stage1.5.

GRUB loading, please wait...
Error 5
==============================

If I boot from my GRUB boot floppy, then load the config file on my
/boot partition ("configfile (hd1,0)/grub/grub.conf"), everything works
fine.  I've tried various combinations of grub-install from the command
line and install and setup from the GRUB shell after booting from the
floppy, but the result is always as above.

Here's the device.map:

(fd0)	/dev/fd0
(hd0)	/dev/hde
(hd1)	/dev/hdg

Here's the grub.conf (with comments stripped):

default=0
timeout=5
title Fedora Core (2.6.9-1.681_FC3)
	root (hd1,0)
	kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.9-1.681_FC3 ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/root
	initrd /initrd=2.6.9-1.681_FC3.img
title WinXP
	rootnoverify (hd0,0)
	chainloader +1

I know the GRUB can be installed and works fine (since it did after the
FC3 install), but I have yet to find the magic combination that'll work
now.  Any suggestions for how to get this to run so I don't have to keep
booting from floppy?

Thanks,
pete