List identification [fedora-list]

Jeff Kinz jkinz at kinz.org
Sun Dec 19 19:45:29 UTC 2004

On Sun, Dec 19, 2004 at 01:53:46PM -0500, William Hooper wrote:

> Jeff Kinz said:
> > On Sun, Dec 19, 2004 at 01:02:09PM -0500, William Hooper wrote:
> >> Get over yourself.  The OP said they were using webmail.
> >
> > Dear Bill, Nothing to get over. Randy was (not seriously) suggesting
> > that all the subscribers to this list switch to squirrelmail (it appears
> > that you missed that part of his email)
>
> No, Randy was suggesting that the OP see if his webmail provider could
> switch.  You were the one that assumed it had anything to do with you
> using webmail.

Yep, I did have that confused, sorry. Still doesn't excuse the impolite
tone of your response. "get over yourself" is a singularly denigrating
and patronizing insult. You could have simply pointed out the confusion.

> Please don't bring your anti-webmail bias into every discussion involving
> webmail.

You are extrapolating from the case of a single email thread to all cases?
A weak argument.

Of course the use of the explicit statement of bias in the framing of
the statement is false. (But an excellent example of slanting things.
good job.)

I have no problem with anyone using web based email, it offers people
portability and greater access than most of what they used to have to use.
However I already have all that plus speed, flexibility etc.. so I'm not
interested in it for my own, unless circumstances change.

--
Linux/Open Source:  Your infrastructure belongs to you, free, forever.
Idealism:  "Realism applied over a longer time period"