Upgrade from RH9 to Fedora

Thomas Cameron thomas.cameron at camerontech.com
Sun Dec 19 20:35:25 UTC 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Kirk" <kirk at icapsolutions.com>
To: <fedora-list at redhat.com>
Sent: Sunday, December 19, 2004 2:09 PM
Subject: Upgrade from RH9 to Fedora

> Maybe a loaded question ... what is the best interactive update procedure
> go from RH9 (Shrike) to Fedora Core 2 or 3?  Can I simply add apt or yum
> and
> do an 'all' update?
>
> Kirk

Hi Kirk -

Pretty much every time this type of question gets asked, the Fedora
developers recommend using the installation media (i.e. CD or DVD or network
source) and letting Anaconda run the upgrade.  However, I've heard several
folks say that they were able to use yum to do it.  I've also heard a lot of
horror stories about yum upgrades going wrong.

Me, I'd make a good backup (maybe two), pop in FC3 disk 1 and reboot.  The
installer is really pretty smart and it seems you are more likely to get
help from the developers using it.

Thomas