FC3: Gnome desktop seems to have disappeared

Micheal Clark sundance at sundanceloki.com
Sun Dec 19 23:11:13 UTC 2004

James Wilkinson wrote:

>Wong Kwok-hon wrote:
>

>>I have such like that before and I fixed. It just use the root acount
>>and delete the files begin with "." excepted the .profile and the
>>system would copy back to default.
>>

>Sorry, Ringo, but your English isn't particularly clear there. And one
>interpretation of that advice is dangerous.
>
>No-one should delete anything unless they are sure they know what it is
>or that they don't need it. If you need to make sure that your system
>won't look at a file, rename it or move it.
>
>A number of programs will keep information in hidden files (those
>beginning with dots), and you *will* lose data like bookmarks, account
>settings, and potentially e-mail.
>
>Note, too, that "." and ".." have special meanings in Unix (and
>Unix-like systems like Fedora).
>
>James.

Another thing the OP can check is the version of gamin that he is
currently using.  IIRC, the current version is having some problems,  I
am not sure off-hand but a quick check of the archives on gamin would
help.  I would also wonder if this was the case would upgrading gamin to
rawhide would help

my 2 cents
MC