Canon USB printer [SOLVED]

Gustavo Seabra seabra at ksu.edu
Mon Dec 20 03:35:40 UTC 2004

Ed Wilts wrote:

>On Sun, Dec 19, 2004 at 05:14:31PM -0600, Gustavo Seabra wrote:
>

>>Thanks! I'll try those later. I don't suppose there's a way to use the
>>card reader is there?
>>

>It *might* show up as a USB disk but I don't know - I don't have a
>printer with a card reader.  In any case, standalone USB carders are
>under $10 these days and I've seen them for free after mail-in rebate.

It does work! Before I tried the  printer, I had my camera working. Now,
if I put the card on the printer, I can mount it as the camera. Just one
downside: from the printer I can only access it in read-only mode, so
I'd have to erase the files from the card using the camera, later.

    In windows the printer comes with an application that changes the
permissions on the card to r+w, so I could delete the files there. While
it was in r+w mode, however, the printer wouldn't work, and I'd have to
return it to read-only before being able to use the printer again. I
don't know if this is possible in Linux but the most important part is
working fine, and that's good enough.

>>BTW, should there be any noticeable difference between using the
>>turborpint driver or the
>>
>>bjc-7000 driver(Foomatic + bjc800) ?
>>

>I couldn't get my F30 working at all with the foomatic drivers but it
>appears to work so far with turboprint even though it's not supported.
>
>TurboPrint has been out for a *long* time so I would expect them to be
>fairly stable with good support.

There are 3 different drivers suggested for the bjc-7000:
1) Canon BJC-7000 (Foomatic + gimp-print-ijs) [Recommended]
2) Canon BJC-7000 (Foomatic + omni-compiled)
3) Canon BJC-7000 (Foomatic + bjc800)

All 3 work fine as far as printing goes. However, the first two have
problems with the definition of the "imageable area", so they crop the
page. The only one that gets the whole page printed is the third one,
but a bit to the left of the paper, not centered. (which is a pity,
because the gimp driver seems to be much superior, having lots of extra
features.) I didn't try other printer drivers, but I wonder if any other
would work.

In summary, the Canon i470 D worked in Fedora Core 3 using the Canon
BJC-7000 (Foomatic + bjc800) driver. The card reader is accessible as a
USB device.

Thanks a lot to everyone.

Gustavo Seabra - Graduate Student
Chemistry Department