udev/hotplug and network devices

Marc D. Field lists at fieldinternet.com
Mon Dec 20 04:38:38 UTC 2004

Hi,

I recently upgraded my system from FC2 to FC3.  FWIW, it's a Compal CL56
notebook.  Despite having read the udev primer at
<http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/udev/> and the hotplug and udev (and
related) man pages, I cannot figure out the following:

1. How do I tell udev which driver to use for a particular device?  I have
an Intel 2200 wireless card and have both the ipw2200 driver and
ndiswrapper installed on my system.  Udev will always use the ipw2200
driver.  I would actually prefer to use ndiswrapper as the default driver.
I know I could edit /etc/modprobe.conf to load ndiswrapper when ipw2200 is
called, but I'd prefer not to do that (because I'm also testing the ipw2200
driver periodically).

2. I have my ethernet card (eth0) set NOT to load on startup.  On a normal
startup, eth0 is not started.  However, on a reboot after a system crash,
eth0 *is* started for some reason.  I assume it's udev that's causing this
behavior (this did not happen with FC2).  Any idea how to prevent this from
happening?

Thanks for any help!
Marc

--