Graphic interface considerations

HaJo Schatz hajo at hajo.net
Mon Dec 20 15:16:56 UTC 2004

soraberri wrote:

I have
> noticed that at the same screen resolution (1024x768) things are very
> different from the point of view of object sizes. Icons, buttons and
> panels are too big for my taste at this resolution settings. But I can't
> use the next available resolution setting (1152x864) because then fonts
> are too small for me. Maybe you can give me a hint about this topic.

Go for the higher resolution and navigate to "Start->Preferences->Font"
to choose the fonts you'd like to see.

> The second thing is about screen displacement or shift. I have installed
>  Fedora core3 in 6 different computers for now, all six with different
> hardware and three different monitor brands, and in all of them the same
> thing: the visible screen is shifted to the rigth, so I have to play
> with the monitor settings (hardware buttons) to adjust the screen.

You have full control over this by "modelines" in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.
However, this is a bit of an advanced topic which would require some
reading/in-depth understanding of monitor timings.

List, come to the rescue if you know of a simple application which will
interactively create these modelines for you...

--
HaJo Schatz <hajo at hajo.net>
http://www.HaJo.Net

PGP-Key:  http://www.hajo.net/hajonet/keys/pgpkey_hajo.txt