Fedora vs Tao vs CentOs as servers

fredex fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Mon Dec 20 16:02:41 UTC 2004

On Mon, Dec 20, 2004 at 09:49:25AM -0600, Ed Wilts wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 20, 2004 at 03:47:17PM +0800, Ow Mun Heng wrote:
> > I'm looking more towards the limited life_span of FC compared to it's
> > RHEL counterpart. (which is where tao linux/CentOs etc... comes into the
> > picture)
> >
> > I'm getting a bit flustered with the term "legacy" where a normal FC
> > life-span is only like 18 months before the "legacy" becomes obsolete (I
> > think, correct me)
> >
> > Now, RHEL is supposed to last for 5 years. (which is a bit too plenty
> > many) Hence, the question of using Tao Linux/Cent Os instead of Fedora.
> >
> > Now, I can always roll my own rpms based on source packages as it _is_
> > faster than the mirrors can come out with updated ones. But that's
> > another story. (If I had a better/beefier box, I'll just run Gentoo on
> > it, but since this is a P133 w/ 128MB Ram, Its more like.. Tough Luck.)
> >
> > Thoughts..

<snip>
> I found Tao to be as stable as RHEL and the updates no more than a day
> behind Red Hat's releases.  If I did not want any support at all, I
> would not hesitate to run Tao in production.
<snip>
> My personal opinion is that for servers, stick with RHEL or Tao.  For
> desktops that want stable software, ditto.  For desktops that want the
> latest and greatest tools, Fedora might be good for you.

FYI, one more data point: I'm running TAO on my home workstation. it's
been great! I did have to hunt down and add some few packaages I wanted
that aren't in it, but that I can live with.

--
---- Fred Smith -- fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us ------------------------ ----
                    Do you not know? Have you not heard?