Canon USB printer [SOLVED]

Gustavo Seabra seabra at ksu.edu
Mon Dec 20 16:22:03 UTC 2004

Wolfgang Gill wrote:

>On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 08:11:06 -0600, Gustavo Seabra wrote
>

>>Wolfgang Gill wrote:
>>

>>>On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 23:37:50 -0600, Gustavo Seabra wrote
>>>[snip]

>>>You only need to do that once. Plus there are other features which you
>>>

>don't
>

>>>get with the standard Cups drivers. Such as Ink Low indication, nozzle
>>>cleanning, the handling of different types of paper etc.. Just like you
>>>

>get
>

>>>with the Windows drivers. So for $30 it's worth it.
>>>
>>>Wolf
>>>--
>>>Open WebMail Project (http://openwebmail.org)
>>>

>>All those features are good to have, but the printing quality is
>>still more important. For some reason, the CUPS drivers get a better
>>quality, so I'm not yet fully convinced that the $30 is a good investment.
>>

>I use the TurboPrint drivers (Which runs under Cups) to drive my two Canon
>S830D & BJC-3000 printers (It also supports some HP & Epson printers). And I
>find that they are way better than the standard Cups drivers. It's better
>than the standard Cups drivers, in that the page alignment is better (Way
>more accurate), Print quality is better, and it prints faster. Plus, I can
>print photo's without borders (Which in the case of the S830D is designed to
>do), where the Cups drivers don't support this. SO, for me, the $30 is worth
>it. The free demo version is mainly intended for try before you buy, type
>setup. I've been using these drivers for approx 3 years now, and I'm happy
>with them. So if they aren't free, it's no big deal for me. I'd prefer to
>pay a small amount to get the FULL use out of my $850 printer (The S830D
>that is).
>
>Wolf
>--
>Open WebMail Project (http://openwebmail.org)

I agree with you. If I had purchased an $850 printer, I'd want full
functionality, and I'd be willing to pay $30 for it. In my case,
however, I'd be paying half the price of the printer just for a driver,
when I can use a free driver that does 80% of the pay one. Photo
printing isn't really important for me, I'd rather pay $0.24 in Wal Mart
for prints when I need them, which is rare.

Gustavo Seabra - Graduate Student
Chemistry Department
Kansas State University