My USB is no longer "default" when unplugged from USB

Terry Linhardt linhardt at swbell.net
Mon Dec 20 16:34:04 UTC 2004

I have a USB printer which functions properly "most of the time."
However, in order to give my wife access to the printer from her XP
machine, I hooked it into a USB "switch". (Essentially, an "AB switch"
for USB devices. She wants to print...she switches the printer so it's
connected to her machine, which "breaks" the USB connection to my FC-3
machine.  When I want to print, I switch it back.

HOWEVER, I have found that while my printer is "seen" by my FC-3
machine, it is no longer the default printer. I need to go thru an
additional step of making my printer the "default" each time this switch
takes place.

I could not find a Bugzilla report on this behavior. Has anyone
experienced similar "problems" or are there suggestions for avoiding this.

A "work-around" would be to enable the XP machine to "see" the printer
as a remote device, without using the USB "switch."  Is there software
to support this function?

Thanks...Terry