Which is my USB device?

Gustavo Seabra seabra at ksu.edu
Mon Dec 20 18:04:50 UTC 2004

Christopher J. Bottaro wrote:

>I installed FC3 on my laptop and it has one USB port.  I plugged in my
>digicam in that USB port and I want to mount it as a USB file system.  The
>problem is that I don't know which device the USB port is associated with.
>On my home computer, it is /dev/sdx, but I don't see those options in /dev/
>on my laptop.
>
>That leads me to a general Linux question.  How are devices assigned?  One
>of my computers assigned /dev/sdx to everything, hard drives, optical
>drives, USB ports, etc.  Another computer assigned /dev/hdx to my hard
>drives and optical drives, but /dev/sdx to my USB ports.
>
>I also have a KDE question.  Is there anyway to automatically mount my
>camera as a USB file system when it is plugged into my laptop?  Is there a
>way to detect that it is a camera?  I don't want to mount *every* USB thing
>plugged into my laptop as a USB filesystem...
>
>Thanks for the help.

    Take a look at 'man fstab-sync'. There you'll find instructions of
how to define a *.fdi file and put it into
/usr/share/hal/fdi/95userpolicy/ so that it will recognize your devices
practically anyway you want it.

    In my case, I have a camera and a usbstick. The usbstick was being
recognized with a weird name, and the camera as 'usbstick'. Both
appeared in /media when inserted, then I just had to mount them. To have
them appearing with the right names, I made a fdi file for each
(camera.fdi & usbstick.fdi) that redefined the names of each. Now, using
KDE, I could put an icon in my desktop for each of these. When I
double-click the icon, it automatically mounts the device (assuming it's
connected, of course) and opens Konqueror with it.

*Gustavo Seabra*
<http://www.ksu.edu/chem/personnel/faculty/grad/jvo/ortiz/people_seabra.html>
- Graduate Student
E-Mail: seabra at ksu.edu <mailto:seabra at ksu.edu>