Protecting internal email distribution lists

ryan at ryanswift.net ryan at ryanswift.net
Mon Dec 20 21:37:55 UTC 2004

I am trying to set up my fedora core 2 server, with postfix running as
the MTA, to restrict access to my internal email distribution lists.

My distribution list is very simple at this point.  I have one alias in
aliases.db that maps to 2 local users.
when i add these commands to main.cf, postfix starts, this is what I get

when i telnet to localhost 25:

[root at dev1 postfix]# telnet localhost 25
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.

It should be
[root at dev1 postfix]# telnet localhost 25
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 dev1.maniatv.com ESMTP Postfix

Any idea what i am doing wrong?

I followed these instructions:
(http://www.postfix.org/RESTRICTION_CLASS_README.html)

/etc/postfix/main.cf:
    smtpd_recipient_restrictions =
        hash:/etc/postfix/protected_destinations
        ...the usual stuff...

    smtpd_restriction_classes = insiders_only
    insiders_only = check_sender_access hash:/etc/postfix/insiders, reject

/etc/postfix/protected_destinations:
    all at my.domain   insiders_only
    all at my.hostname insiders_only

/etc/postfix/insiders:
    my.domain       OK  matches my.domain and subdomains
    another.domain  OK  matches another.domain and subdomains

Thank you,

Ryan Swift

Below is my postconf -n...
[root at dev1 postfix]# postconf -n
alias_database = hash:/etc/postfix/aliases
alias_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/aliases
command_directory = /usr/sbin
config_directory = /etc/postfix
daemon_directory = /usr/libexec/postfix
debug_peer_level = 2
inet_interfaces = all
mail_owner = postfix
mail_spool_directory = /var/spool/mail
mailq_path = /usr/bin/mailq.postfix
manpage_directory = /usr/share/man
mydestination = $myhostname, localhost.$mydomain
mydomain = maniatv.com
myhostname = dev1.maniatv.com
myorigin = $mydomain
queue_directory = /var/spool/postfix
readme_directory = /usr/share/doc/postfix-2.0.18/README_FILES
relay_domains = maniatv.com
setgid_group = postdrop
smtpd_recipient_restrictions = hash:/etc/postfix/protected_destinations
smtpd_restriction_classes = insiders_only
unknown_local_recipient_reject_code = 450