General request .. Dismal performance of core 3 ..

Doncho N. Gunchev mr700 at globalnet.bg
Tue Dec 21 02:21:52 UTC 2004

On 2004-12-20 (Monday) 22:03, Sundara Pandian wrote:
> The whole experience counts, yeah its good if its a free download but no one
> forks money becos the kernel alone is stable or fast.
>
>  Its over simplifying saying the performance btw distros is the same becos the
> Kernel is the same.
> Am not a expert in this am sure there are other factors (primary i can think of
> FS type).
> > > http://anandtech.com/linux/showdoc.aspx?i=2114&p=2
    Where did they get mencoder 3.3.1 before mplayer 1.0 final is released?
Maybe they mean it says 'MEncoder dev-CVS--3.4.2' (my version is MEncoder
dev-CVS--3.4.2), but that's the compiler's version. I seriously don't belive
they got FC2 running mencoder 3 times slower (78 vs 192 FPS). Let's look at
the command:
--- cut ---
mencoder sample.mpg -nosound -ovc lavc vcodec=mpeg4:vpass=2 -o sample.avi
--- cut ---
This is the second pass (vpass=2) and it does not work without the first
one (vpass=1) which produces the '2pass stat file'... How do I belive them
now? Which version of mplayer? The above line will not work for one more
reason - look at the man page:
--- cut ---
Encode DVD title #2, only selected chapters:
    mencoder dvd://2  -chapter  10-15  -o  title2.avi  -oac  copy
    -ovc  lavc  -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4
--- cut ---
in short '-ovc lavc' accepts options via '-lavcopts <options>'. And last
thing, copy-paste of the command from their web page is:
--- cut ---
mencoder sample.mpg - nosound - ovc lavc vcodec=mpeg4:vpass=2 - o sample.avi
--- cut ---
or html source:
you see the spaces after each '-'? Do you still think they know what FS is?

PS: 192 FPS is unreal. High quality 2 pass encoding with P4/3GHZ,1G RAM
is slower than the playback, which is less than 25 FPS.

--
Regards,
  Doncho N. Gunchev    Registered Linux User #291323 at counter.li.org
  GPG-Key-ID: 1024D/DA454F79                        http://pgp.mit.edu
  Key fingerprint = 684F 688B C508 C609 0371  5E0F A089 CB15 DA45 4F79