General Samba Question

Bradley (FC2 List) FedoraList at Thingbuilder.com
Tue Dec 21 04:21:04 UTC 2004

Randy Kelsoe wrote:

> Bradley (FC2 List) wrote:
>
>> I have been trying to set up my Samba service on a workgroup with 5
>> windows
>> 2000 professional boxes
>> and 1 win 98 box. I can connect to the win 98 box and two of the 2000
>> boxes
>> with no problem. On the
>> other three boxes I get "The folder contents could not be displayed",
>> "You
>> do not have the permissions
>> to view the contents of  (Computer Name)".  All of the windows
>> machines are
>> showing up in
>> "Windows Network".
>>
>>  Can someone give me some advice on where to look for the difference
>> between
>> these connections? I have not been able to figure this one out.
>>

> The user policy in Win98 is not as strict as Win 2000. First, did you
> create your users on the samba server  ( smbpasswd -a username )? If
> you have the same samba user name as the user name you are logged in
> with on the Win2K machine, and the passwords are the same, it should
> work if you have a correct smb.conf file and in the smb.conf file, you
> have:
>
>  encrypt passwords = yes
>
> If this does not work after restarting smb (service smb restart), you
> might want to post your smb.conf file here (without the comments).

Apparently I have dug myself deeper becaust now in "Network" in
"Computer" I get an endlessly rotating hour-glass. Sometimes I get an
error about int key string  system/smb/workgroup - sorry, can't remember
it all and couldn't duplicate.

Here is my smb.conf:
[global]
    log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
    load printers = yes
    guest account = pcguest
    smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
    domain master = no
    hosts allow = 192.168.1. 127.
    winbind enable local accounts = no
    encrypt passwords = yes
    dns proxy = yes
    cups options = raw
    server string = Samba Server
    winbind enum users = no
    path = /mnt/share
    workgroup = THINGWORLD
    printcap name = /etc/printcap
    security = user
    preferred master = yes
    max log size = 50
    domain logons = yes

[homes]
   comment = Home Directories
   browseable = no
   writable = yes

[printers]
   comment = All Printers
   path = /var/spool/samba
   browseable = no
# Set public = yes to allow user 'guest account' to print
   guest ok = no
   writable = no
   printable = yes

[public]