Firefox 1.0-6 + Java SDK 1.4.2_04 = Crash

Kam Leo kam.leo at gmail.com
Tue Dec 21 06:04:25 UTC 2004

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 23:18:56 -0600, Gustavo Seabra <seabra at ksu.edu> wrote:
> John Hodges wrote:
>
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > I just installed FC3 last night, got Firefox 1.0-6 via yum update. I
> > then installed Java SDK 1.4.2_04 and symlinked /usr/java/j2 ...
> > ns610-gcc32/libjavaplugin_oji.so to /usr/lib/firefox-1.0/plugins. I
> > check about:plugins and the plugin appears to be loaded correctly.
> > Whenever I try to load a page containing a Java applet, however, the
> > browser crashes. I tried uninstalling Firefox 1.0-6 and going back to
> > whichever version shipped with FC3, but to no avail; still crashes. I
> > tried googling the problem but only got page after page of browser
> > crashes due to people copying the plugin rather than symlinking it.
> > Has anyone else seen this? Am I missing something rather obvious?
> >
> > Cheers,
>
> You may have installed the wrong plugin version. In my case, Firefox is
> working well with the Java Plugin 1.5.0, but I Java to point it to:
> (note that it is *not* the ns7-gcc29/ folder, but just ns7)
> /usr/java/jre1.5.0/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so
>
> in your case, you may have a file like:
> /usr/java/j2 ... ns6/libjavaplugin_oji.so
>
> Try this one.

If you need to stay with the 1.4 SDK/JRE you should upgrade to the
latest version 1.4.2_06.  Sun has fixed a few bugs including a client
VM crash (don't know if this applies to you).

You can also install the 1.5 SDK along side the 1.4 SDK.  Change your
Firefox symbolic link to point to the new plugin and see if that fixed
your problem,  If it does use rpm to remove the 1.4 version.