Cyrus IMAP + postfix

Roger Grosswiler roger at gwch.net
Tue Dec 21 09:58:50 UTC 2004

Ow Mun Heng schrieb:
> I must be daft, I installed my new Home-Net-Server w FC3 (P133 w/128MB
> RAM) and opened up Port 25 via DynDNS (I checked, it's not an open
> relay, I did the 20 point check via abuse.net IIRC)
>
> Everything works. Then I realised that I don't have a POP/IMAP server
> set up. I know I can use dovecot and it works out of the box, but I
> wanted to try Cyrus and also switch to postfix (just bought the O'Reilly
> book - Postfix - The Definitive Guide, now at Pg 50 of 250) but I'm
> looking for an quick Howto to get up and running.
>
> Anyone has any suggestions? (eg: Personal HowTos)
>
> I'm gonna goggle up on it when I get home (where I-Net access is
> available)
>

> --
> Ow Mun Heng
> Gentoo/Linux on D600 1.4Ghz
> 98% Microsoft(tm) Free!!
> Neuromancer 17:21:57 up 8:11, 5 users, 1.69, 0.86, 0.44

IMHO, postfix is in FC3 (in FC2 it was) prepared for cyrus. So all you
have to do is installing postfix and ALL packages for cyrus:

cyrus-sasl-devel
cyrus-imapd-utils
cyrus-sasl
cyrus-sasl-plain
cyrus-imapd
cyrus-sasl-md5
perl-Cyrus

...plus postfix, of course.

after installation, configure postfix secure..(seems you already did this)

do arrange forwarding of e-mail from users in /etc/passwd to their
mailboxes. You can add them either in /etc/postfix/aliases or
/etc/postfix/virtual. My prefer is virtual (historically ;-)) After
adding them into virtual, do postmap virtual, this creates your
virtual-database. If you did in aliases, do postmap aliases or
newaliases aliases (always in /etc/postfix)...now you have your delivery
database. Make sure, if using virtual, you have in /etc/postfix main.cf
activated:

for aliases: 'alias_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/aliases'
for virtual: 'virtual_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/virtual' and 'alias_maps='

now, lets create some mailboxes. call as user cyrus the program like
this: 'cyradm localhost' this connects directly to cyrus on your
localhost. login with your cyrus-password (there has to be a password
specified...)

you'll get a prompt: hostname >

create your mailbox like this: cm user.username
the user. is needed this is the folders default. if you don't put user.
in front of your username, cyrus will (in standard-config) not find the
mailbox at all. so perhaps, your username will be something like this:
'user.OwMunHeng'

make a ? on the prompt, you will get more out of this.

I think, this should make your cyrus basically working.

Let me know, if problems occur.

HTH
Roger