Linux Word Processors

Richard Crawford rscrawford at mossroot.com
Tue Dec 21 14:19:28 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-12-21 at 05:38, Ryan D'Baisse wrote:
> I'm trying to find a professional word processor for Linux without
> using Crossover or Wine.  I am simply not satisfied with OpenOffice.
> I write a lot of technical documents and need things such as
> intelligent bulletting, table of contents functionality, etc.  I do
> not mind paying for the product.
>
> I have tried finding Corel WordPerfect, but the Corel site has no
> mention of Linux any longer.  I am downloading StarOffice v7.0 from
> Sun's site, at the moment, but do not know of a single person who is
> using it.
>
> Any recommendations?

Couple of thoughts.

First, OpenOffice.org just released the first preview release of OOo 2
yesterday; it's much slicker than 1.1.3. You might want to check it out.

Second, I've tried WP 8 for Linux; it was simply unacceptable.  It
crashed frequently and failed to work smoothly, and the installation
files on the disk were incomplete (I had to download an extra script of
the WordPerfect site to get it running).

I think that OpenOffice.org (the suite's proper name) or AbiWord are
probably your best bets.

--
Richard S. Crawford / http://www.mossroot.com
AIM: Buffalo2K / ICQ: 11646404 / Y!: rscrawford