Linux Word Processors

Dave Gavin dgavin at davegavin.com
Tue Dec 21 14:55:15 UTC 2004

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 06:19:28 -0800
Richard Crawford <rscrawford at mossroot.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 2004-12-21 at 05:38, Ryan D'Baisse wrote:
> > I'm trying to find a professional word processor for Linux without
> > using Crossover or Wine.  I am simply not satisfied with OpenOffice.
> > I write a lot of technical documents and need things such as
> > intelligent bulletting, table of contents functionality, etc.  I do
> > not mind paying for the product.
> >
> > I have tried finding Corel WordPerfect, but the Corel site has no
> > mention of Linux any longer.  I am downloading StarOffice v7.0 from
> > Sun's site, at the moment, but do not know of a single person who is
> > using it.
> >
> > Any recommendations?
>
> Couple of thoughts.
>
> First, OpenOffice.org just released the first preview release of OOo 2
> yesterday; it's much slicker than 1.1.3. You might want to check it out.
>
> Second, I've tried WP 8 for Linux; it was simply unacceptable.  It
> crashed frequently and failed to work smoothly, and the installation
> files on the disk were incomplete (I had to download an extra script of
> the WordPerfect site to get it running).
>
> I think that OpenOffice.org (the suite's proper name) or AbiWord are
> probably your best bets.

<snip>

 Don't confuse OpenOffice with StarOffice - one is open source (free) and the
other is a commercial offering from SUN. Basically the same package except that
being a commercial offering StarOffice has more import filters and may be a
little ahead of OpenOffice in features - if only to justify it's price (which is
NOT all that much anyway).

 I'd suggest also looking at TextMaker (http://www.softmaker.de).  I've been
using their word processor through several versions and it just keeps getting
better. It is also available across several platforms - Linux, Windows, Windows
CE and others. TextMaker sells for $50 and they have a spreadsheet (PlanMaker)
which sells for the same price. Multi-language dictionaries are also available
in their Office package.

<Disclaimer>
 No connection, other than that of a satisfied customer
</Disclaimer>

Dave Gavin

--
Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed
out of a tube.  That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba....