FC3 an a new system

JonVO jonvo at comcast.net
Tue Dec 21 15:44:37 UTC 2004

Jonathan Berry wrote:

>On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 10:13:59 -0600, apjaworski at mmm.com
><apjaworski at mmm.com> wrote:
>

>>Hello there,
>>
>>I am about to get a new system and I have a couple of simple questions
>>about hardware compatibility.
>>
>>1.  I am thinking about getting an ASUS K8N board with Athlon 64 processor.
>>Do I have to install FC3 x86_64 or can I install 32bit FC3.  If I can do
>>both, which one is better, especially if I want to compile and run some
>>32bit applications.
>>

>You can install either or even dual boot both if you want :).  I run
>x86_64, and it runs quite well on an nForce3 based laptop.  The 64-bit
>OS can run 32-bit programs just fine.  If you want to compile
>programs, you can probably compile them just fine in 64-bit.  If you
>really want 32-bit programs, you can do that.  I think just pass -m32
>to gcc, or specify a 32-bit arch, or use the 32-bit compiler.  You
>have to be careful about mixing 32-bit plugins and 64-bit programs as
>it won't work.  As Rob said, you need a 32-bit browser to use Java VM
>or Flash plugin at the moment.  64-bit versions will be out in due
>time, though.  In summary, go with x86_64, and if you really want a
>32-bit only environment, dual boot with the i386 version.  You should
>have plenty of disk space, right?
>

>>2.  I am thinking about getting just two SATA HDs.  The motherboard has
>>Sil3114 controller.  Will FC3 installer recognize the disks and let me
>>install the system?
>>

>Sorry, no clue.  There is some chatter on the list about SATA, but I
>don't have such hardware so I don't pay much attention to it.
>

>>3.  Will I be able to use the Realtek ALC850 audio controller or should I
>>buy a separate sound card (I was thinking about getting an Audigy card).
>>

>This should probably work, though Audigy cards are very nice.  Built
>in audio works fine on my laptop.  It has an nForce3 150 motherboard,
>so I don't know if it is the same sound or not.  You can always see if
>it works, and if not get the Audigy later.  Most modern hardware that
>isn't too exotic seems to work just fine.
>

>>4. Similar things with the built-in gigabit LAN.  I am not even sure what
>>that is - it says "Chipset built-in Gigabit MAC with external Marvell PHY
>>supporting 10/100/1000 BASE-T Ethernet" in the specs.
>>

>I think the PHY is just a name Marvell has come up with.  As I said
>above, probably works, especially given Rob's comments.
>

>>Any thoughts and other recommendations are welcome.
>>

>Looks like a nice setup.  I really like my Athlon 64 and FC3 has some
>of the best support for x86_64 from what I have heard.  You might
>check out the AMD64 list.  It has less trafic and you might get some
>better responses there:
>
>What kind of graphics card are you going with?  If you want 3D, you
>probably ought to go with an nVidia card.  I've been very pleased with
>the Linux support for my GeForce MX 440s.  Of course, if you want
> [...]
Ditto on recommendations. I have the ASUS K8N w/ an older ATI
all-in-wonder video and it works fine at 1280x1024 full color, etc.
Tunning FC3, install seemed to go smoothly. Check the install
recommendations from the fedora.org website, there are links to some
valuble info. I am planning on Nvidia upgrade.
NOTE:, Please let us know how the networking turns out. I am still
having SLOW ethenet issues everything set up fine but the network WAN
access is painfully slow. Have tried a number of "tweaks" recommended in
this thread, all to no avail. I suspect a driver/WAN settings
interaction issue. Since you will have the same setup, let me know how
it goes!
thanks
JonVO