Re-installing GRUB on FC3

Pete Toscano pete-fedora at verisignlabs.com
Tue Dec 21 19:23:02 UTC 2004

Doncho N. Gunchev wrote:
>>When I try "grub-install --root-directory=/boot /dev/hde" from the
>
>     I think you don't need ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ this. AFAIK this is
> relative to your boot partition (--root-directory).

Alas, even if I run "grub-install /dev/hde", I still get the message below.

Thanks for trying though.

I think I need to figure out a way to either run the installer and have
it _only_ install GRUB or to extract the GRUB install it'd use on my
system and run that.  I know GRUB can be installed correctly and that it
works with my config (since the original FC3 install worked and the GRUB
boot floppy works now).

This is most frustrating.

pete