Linux Word Processors

Ryan D'Baisse ryan.dbaisse at gmail.com
Tue Dec 21 19:53:11 UTC 2004

Okay, I am beginning to see just how many apps out there are
classified as word processors.  So, allow me to get a bit more
specific...

1. The editor must be WYSIWYG;

2. It must be able to import to, and export from, Microsoft Word
format without any difficulties; and,

3. It must have strong formatting abilities.  For example, when I
mentioned "intelligent bulleting," I was referring to the ability to
hit <TAB> and have the editor indent a paragraph and renumber the
paragraph with the next appropriate hierarchy (i.e., I, A, 1, i, a,
etc.).  OpenOffice and StarOffice attempt to do this, but they fail
after the second level.

Simply put, I need something where I can compose a professional
document, with as much ease as possible, and then hand that file to a
printer for mass publication without any retooling of the document to
make it pretty.  I want to be able to write, and have the editor
handle formatting correctly and cosmetically, so my concentration can
remain on the subject matter.

So, while I appreciate all of the recommendations thus far, is there
anything out there, besides OpenOffice and Star Office, that will do
this on Linux?  Again, no CrossOver or Wine; something that can run
natively in Linux, please.

Thanx,
Ryan