More sound issues

Wayne Leutwyler wayne-leutwyler at columbus.rr.com
Tue Dec 21 20:38:24 UTC 2004

Terry Polzin wrote:
> Folks:
>
> I've been following all the threads for some time now, and still haven't
> gotten sound to work playing CDs or the sound that should play when starting
> KDE.  I do though get sound when playing swf files and from kmail alerts.
> Hardware is Dell Inspiron 1000.
>
> I've added the device to my /etc/hotplug/blacklist, checked /etc/modprobe.conf
> these files look fine to me.  Today I discovered the following messages
> in /tmp/xses-user.X:
> ALSA lib pcm_hw.c:549:(snd_pcm_hw_start) SNDRV_PCM_IOCTL_START failed: Broken
> pipe
> ALSA lib pcm_hw.c:549:(snd_pcm_hw_start) SNDRV_PCM_IOCTL_START failed: Broken
> pipe
> ALSA lib pcm_hw.c:549:(snd_pcm_hw_start) SNDRV_PCM_IOCTL_START failed: Broken
> pipe
>
> Just to desk check me here are my /etc/hotplug/blacklist and modprobe.conf
> files:
> cat /etc/hotplug/blacklist
> #
> # Listing a module here prevents the hotplug scripts from loading it.
> # Usually that'd be so that some other driver will bind it instead,
> # no matter which driver happens to get probed first.  Sometimes user
> # mode tools can also control driver binding.
> #
> # Syntax:  driver name alone (without any spaces) on a line. Other
> # lines are ignored.
> #
>
> # watchdog drivers
> i8xx_tco
>
> # framebuffer drivers
> aty128fb
> atyfb
> radeonfb
> i810fb
> cirrusfb
> kyrofb
> i2c-matroxfb
> hgafb
> rivafb
> sstfb
> neofb
> tridentfb
> tdfxfb
> virgefb
> vga16fb
>
> # sound card
> snd-intel8x0m
> ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
> cat /etc/modprobe.conf
> alias eth0 sis900
> alias snd-card-0 snd-intel8x0
> install snd-intel8x0 /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-intel8x0
> && /usr/sbin/alsactl restore >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
> remove snd-intel8x0 { /usr/sbin/alsactl store >/dev/null 2>&1
> || : ; }; /sbin/modprobe -r --ignore-remove snd-intel8x0
> alias usb-controller ehci-hcd
> alias usb-controller1 ohci-hcd
>

> THANKS,
>
> Terry

Terry,

I think I know whats happening to you. I had the same problem when I
started to use FC3 and KDE. Here is how I got it fixed. I had to delete
my ~/.kde directory. Something got messed up with KDE and sound. This
happened after the 1st login to KDE while sound was not working on the
system. When this happened someting got messed up in the KDE sound config.

You could test this by creating a new user and logging in to KDE and
setting up the startup and shut down sounds. Then logout and back into
KDE with that user. Your sound should be working just fine. The only way
I know to fix it would be to delete your ~/.kde directory from your
normal user ID.

The way I went about deleting my ~/.kde was like this.

1. Logout of KDE
2. press <ctl> + <alt> + <f1> to get to a terminal session
3. login as your normal user ID.
4. mv .kde .kde.old
5. exit
6. press <alt> + <f7> to get back to gui login.

Setup your sound the way you want them and see if your problems go away.

Let me know if this helps.

--
Wayne Leutwyler - RHCT, CNA
Linux Admin / DBA