FC3 install - no network

Ashley M. Kirchner ashley at pcraft.com
Tue Dec 21 22:30:21 UTC 2004

    I just did a fresh installation of FC3 on a system that used to run
RH9.  Installation went fine, system came up ... except the network
won't work.  Now, I checked all the files _I think_ needs to be checked,
and they all appear to be okay:  /etc/sysconfig/network,
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 and ifcfg-lo

    All the values and options are the same as what they were on the old
setup (I made a backup of those files, so I'm comparing them now.)  Yet,
the network simply won't work.  Checking 'ifconfig' everything appears
to be fine.  Running 'route' on the other hand hangs for a bit before
finally giving me the last line:

    # route
    Kernel IP routing table
    Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref
Use Iface
    206.168.220.48  *               255.255.255.248 U     0
0        0 eth0
    [ ... here it hangs for a while before the last line ... ]
    default         206.168.220.49  0.0.0.0         UG    0
0        0 eth0

    Now, on any of my other systems (still running either RH7.3/9 or
FC1, when I run 'route', it also displays a line for the loopback.  It's
not showing up on this machine (though the loopback does show up in
ifconfig.)  So, someone please shine some light here...what have I
forgotten?  Why in the world would it not work if everything is setup
the same?

    -- A