FC3 install - no network

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Tue Dec 21 23:21:49 UTC 2004

Am Di, den 21.12.2004 schrieb Ashley M. Kirchner um 23:30:

>     I just did a fresh installation of FC3 on a system that used to run
> RH9.  Installation went fine, system came up ... except the network
> won't work.  Now, I checked all the files _I think_ needs to be checked,
> and they all appear to be okay:  /etc/sysconfig/network,
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 and ifcfg-lo

Which NIC, which kernel module?

>     All the values and options are the same as what they were on the old
> setup (I made a backup of those files, so I'm comparing them now.)  Yet,
> the network simply won't work.  Checking 'ifconfig' everything appears
> to be fine.  Running 'route' on the other hand hangs for a bit before
> finally giving me the last line:
>
>     # route
>     Kernel IP routing table
>     Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref
> Use Iface
>     206.168.220.48  *               255.255.255.248 U     0
> 0        0 eth0
>     [ ... here it hangs for a while before the last line ... ]
>     default         206.168.220.49  0.0.0.0         UG    0
> 0        0 eth0

"route" hangs when it tries to resolve the name and can't. "route -n"
will print out the routes immediately, right?

>     Now, on any of my other systems (still running either RH7.3/9 or
> FC1, when I run 'route', it also displays a line for the loopback.  It's
> not showing up on this machine (though the loopback does show up in
> ifconfig.)  So, someone please shine some light here...what have I
> forgotten?  Why in the world would it not work if everything is setup
> the same?

There is no loopback route with kernel 2.6. This is normal.
Is your /etc/host file properly formatted and has a 127.0.0.1/localhost
entry line? /etc/resolv.conf is proper too? If yes, do you have router
equiment? Maybe

# Controls ECN
net.ipv4.tcp_ecn = 0

# Controls TCP window scaling
net.ipv4.tcp_window_scaling = 0

is needed in your /etc/sysctl.conf (one or both) and "sysctl -p" to be
executed then.

>     -- A

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) on Athlon kernel 2.6.9-1.6_FC2smp
Serendipity 00:11:33 up 11 days, 18:52, load average: 1.55, 1.58, 1.61