Fedora Core 3 and a Satellite + Wireless

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Tue Dec 21 12:49:20 UTC 2004

I've just acquired a Toshiba Satellite 1400 with Windows XP professional.

The plan is to replace the 20 Gb drive with a larger one (maybe 60), copy
exising drive with dd sorta like this:

dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/hdc

pray that XP is happy wth that, then duel (or even better, dual) boot FC3.

One of the things I do want is wireless.

The choices are
a) Toshiba's mimipci wireless card which just clips in, but is only specced at
11b.
b) Presumably, someone ele's minipci wireless card, but I don't know what's
around or whether they will mate with the antenna.
c) A pc card.
I know I can easily get my hands on cards from Netcomm (Australia which sells
Allnet card with a paint job; I have two of their PCI cards and those work
well), and D-Link cards are easily found and many are labelled "atheros" and
I expect those to work.

One thing I'm keen on is being able to attach an external antenna; this is
good for aiming them at distant objects. I suspect that this is not possible
with the minipci cards.

Does anyone have any advice (particularly relating to Australia) or sources of
information?

My preference is for 11g, though this isn't essential.

--

Cheers
John Summerfield