firefox and java

Jonathan Berry berryja at gmail.com
Wed Dec 22 03:34:37 UTC 2004

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 17:43:34 -0800, Gerhard Magnus
<magnus at agora.rdrop.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-12-21 at 16:02 -0800, Kam Leo wrote:
> > Check /usr/lib and verify that you only have the one firefox
> > directory.  Various repositories create directories in the form of
> > "firefox" or "firefox-xx.x".  You may have Firefox installed in
> > multiple locations.
> >
> I seem to have "firefox-1.0" and "firefox-0.10.1" directories
> under /usr/lib although the Firefox version that's executing is 1.0.  Do
> I need to uninstall anything in order to get this to work.

No, I'm guessing that the 0.10.1 directory is pretty much empty.  It's
safe to ignore.

> > If there is only the firefox-0.10.1 directory, verify that the
> > symbolic links within plugins are valid:
> >
> > # cd /usr/lib/firefox-0.10.1/plugins
> > # ls -l
> >
> > There should be no red-colored text present.  If there are, the link
> > associated with that file is broken.  Use "find" or "locate"  to
> > determine where file for broken link resides.
> >
> This may be my problem -- all the links I've created are in red.  Say
> I'm in a directory like "/usr/java/j2re1.4.2_06/plugin/i386/ns610-gcc32"
> -- I then (as root) execute the command "ln -s
> libjavaplugin_oji.so /usr/lib/firefox-1.0/plugins".  The link appears in
> the right directory but it's highlighted in red and flashing.  The only
> other thing in the /usr/lib/firefox-1.0/plugins directory is the file
> (in green) "libnullplugin.so".

Okay, here is the problem.  I think you've got it a little backwards.
Try this (as root):
cd /usr/lib/firefox-1.0/plugins
ln -s /usr/java/j2re1.4.2_06/plugin/i386/ns610-gcc32/libjavaplugin_oji.so

I think that should get you going.  I grabbed the paths from what you
have above, so be sure to correct them if there happens to be a typo.
The exact syntax/semantics of the "ln -s" command has always confused
me, but I know the above works.  It creates a link to the specified
file with the same name as that file in the current directory.  To
make sure all is well, as mentioned above, list the directory with "ls
-l" (aliased to "ll") and it should tell you where the link is
pointing.  You can do the listing before you do the new link to see
what you actually did with your above steps if you are curious what it
did.

Jonathan