configure modem to start at boot

Antonio Olivares olivares14031 at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 23 03:12:42 UTC 2004

Dear users of Fedora Core 3 and discuss at linmodems.org,
    I still have not figured out how to make Fedora
load drives upon boot time with udev and other hacks
attempted.  In the /etc/init.d/ folder slmodemd is in
there and all appropriate links are made.  slamr is
running in the background, yet when I start kppp modem
is not recognized.

[olivares at localhost ~]$ su - root
Password:
[root at localhost ~]# lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by
radeon                120516  2
slamr                 409032  0
parport_pc             24705  1
lp                     11565  0
parport                41737  2 parport_pc,lp
autofs4                24005  0
i2c_dev                10433  0
i2c_core               22081  1 i2c_dev
sunrpc                160421  1
ipt_REJECT              6465  1
ipt_state               1857  1
ip_conntrack           40693  1 ipt_state
iptable_filter          2753  1
ip_tables              16193  3
ipt_REJECT,ipt_state,iptable_filter
md5                     4033  1
ipv6                  232577  8
ohci1394               35033  0
ieee1394              302869  1 ohci1394
uhci_hcd               31449  0
ehci_hcd               31557  0
snd_via82xx            27237  2
snd_ac97_codec         64401  1 snd_via82xx
snd_pcm_oss            47609  0
snd_mixer_oss          17217  1 snd_pcm_oss
snd_pcm                97993  3
snd_via82xx,snd_pcm_oss
snd_timer              29765  1 snd_pcm
snd_page_alloc          9673  2 snd_via82xx,snd_pcm
gameport                4801  1 snd_via82xx
snd_mpu401_uart         8769  1 snd_via82xx
snd_rawmidi            26725  1 snd_mpu401_uart
snd_seq_device          8137  1 snd_rawmidi
snd                    54053  12
snd_via82xx,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_pcm,snd_timer,snd_mpu401_uart,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq_device
soundcore               9889  1 snd
via_rhine              23497  0
mii                     4673  1 via_rhine
floppy                 58609  0
dm_snapshot            17029  0
dm_zero                 2369  0
dm_mirror              23341  2
ext3                  116809  2
jbd                    74969  1 ext3
dm_mod                 54741  6
dm_snapshot,dm_zero,dm_mirror
sata_via                7109  0
libata                 40005  1 sata_via
sd_mod                 16961  0
scsi_mod              118417  2 libata,sd_mod
[root at localhost ~]# slmodemd &
[1] 3868
[root at localhost ~]# SmartLink Soft Modem: version
2.9.10 Dec 18 2004 08:01:11
symbolic link `/dev/ttySL0' -> `/dev/pts/3' created.
modem `slamr0' created. TTY is `/dev/pts/3'
Use `/dev/ttySL0' as modem device, Ctrl+C for
termination.

Upon every boot, I have to retype slmodemd at the
console so that I can connect to the net.

I tried also copying a suggestion from another mail
after I loaded slmodemd.
[root at localhost ~]#  cp -a /dev/ttySL0
/etc/udev/devices
[root at localhost ~]#  chown root.root
/etc/udev/devices/ttySL0

This did not work.  I probably need to create a
definition for udev.  But how do I do it?  I have read
some of the documentation of udev.  But I am afraid of
messing up the system.

Before udev when devfs was in place, had no problems
with loading slamr upon boot.  Any suggestions and/or
advice will be greatly appreciated.  Merry Christmas
to all and a Happy New Year.

Thanks in advance,

Antonio

P.S.  will post this message two times in case the
first one does not get through.  Sorry if it is
annoying but many people will be benefitted if we can
solve this problem.