OS X

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Thu Dec 23 05:27:36 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-12-23 at 10:08 +0800, John Summerfield wrote:
> On Thursday 23 December 2004 08:18, Craig White wrote:
> > This is Fedora-list and your glee for Panther is entirely off topic.
>
> Comparison with competitors is always appropriate; if Linux in general anbd FC
> in particular comes off second-best in such a comparison then those highlight
> areas where Linux _must_ improve.
>
> What happens when you plug a camera in? OS X starts iphoto and is ready to
> import and edit your photo collection, and publish a photo album. My tourist
> pics were done that way, my first ephoto collection.
>
> What happens when you plug a wire into your ethernet port? OS X gets a lease
> and joins your network,*
>
> What happens when you walk past an access point? OS X connects, gets a lease
> etc.*
---
This is all well and good but as we all know, it is after all, another
proprietary OS with limited hardware support, an archaic if not confused
UI and I have encountered a number of problems with integration of the
BSD subsystem.

This of course has nothing to do with Fedora.

As for automatically detecting hardware and automatically mounting
devices on Linux, things have been steadily improving. I think Fedora
provides an improved opportunity to advance many of these issues at a
quicker rate than the philosophy of RHL.

Craig