GUI fails to init after install

Mark Lewus mlewus at optonline.net
Thu Dec 23 07:33:24 UTC 2004

I have just installed Fedora 2 on a Sony Vaio GRX-570 (1.6 ghz P4, ATI Radeon 7500 graphics, Intel pro/100ve wired network and Linksys wireless network card). I downloaded the four CD set from a mirror and burned the CDs. I tested the media before installation and all was OK.
  The "desktop" install seemed to go OK. When I booted for the first time, I get the graphical startup screen that says starting network etc. The screen then goes blank, starts X, I get a blank blue screen with a working mouse and an X cursor and nothing else. GNOME seems not to start. The virtual terminals are dead except for F1 which displays some normal looking startup messages in text (no error messages). F7 (F8?) displays the X server window which, as I said before, is blank except for the X cursor.

  Any suggestions about what might be going on or at least how to proceed debugging this problem? Remove NOSPAM from the email address below to reply.

  Thanks
  Mark Lewus
  mlewus at NOSPAMoptonline.net