Request of procedure to complie the kernel...

Wong Kwok-hon kwokhon at gmail.com
Thu Dec 23 09:14:21 UTC 2004

Hello!

I have used Linux since RH9 to FC3 for 6 months but I don't know how
to complie the kernel because I can't find any clear procedure to do
that. And I noticed that kernel 2.6 is changed and some steps needn't.

I am new in complie the kernel because I just install the rpm before.
And due to my USB harddisk shown the buffering error shown from
kernel. So I may need to re-complie the kernel to fix it.

And I saw someone posted some steps of complie a custom kernel of
2.6.x as follows:

I read from a magazine as
1. Unpack sources into /usr/src/
2. make xconfig
3. make menuconfig
4. make
5. make modules_install
6. make install
7. reboot the machine

OR

Someone posted as
-----------------------------
1. Unpack sources into /usr/src/
2. make
3. make modules
4. make modules_install
5. make install
6. reboot the mahine

Which one is the right way ?
Would it become rpm?
And how about to become a rpm ?
How to remove the error kernel if failed ?

Thanks for helping me first because they make me mixed.
And sorry for my english is poor.

Ringo